Our open water group meets at the far northern end of the parking lot at the Siesta Key Beach and walks to the blue lifeguard stand. All levels are welcome. However, for safety reasons:
- Check in with Laura or Rick during the week if you are joining the group for the first time.
- Like all SYSM workouts, USMS membership is required.
- This is a group swim—please bring a team-player attitude.
- Brightly colored swim caps are required for all swimmers. The best colors are bright/neon pink, yellow, orange, or red. Avoid white, silver, blue and green, which blend in with waves and water.
- Fins are required for those swimmers who cannot keep up with one of the pods.
- When the water dips below 70 F, wetsuits will be required, unless you have proven cold-water swimming experience.
This is a great way to get some open water experience while having fun with the group. If you are focused solely your individual performance, this practice might not be for you. We expect swimmers to buddy up and watch out for each other. There are almost always two or three different pods for a variety of swimming speeds. Breakfast afterward!
Laura confirms this practice with an email on Friday. However, shifting weather and water conditions might cause practice to be canceled after that email. Unless you’re a registered member of SYSM, you won’t get any email updates. However, for night-before or day-of updates, you can either follow us on Twitter at @SharksMasters or check our Twitter feed on the front page of this website (righthand column).